Obstructive sleep apnea is a condition in which a person experiences restriction or obstruction in their breathing while they sleep. This condition repeatedly occurs for periods of 10 seconds or longer during sleep which is associated with loud snoring or choking noises. It may leave you and your partner tired, groggy, and sleep-deprived when you wake up the next day.
Aside from that, obstructive sleep apnea raises your risk of other health issues. Luckily, there are oral devices that can serve as a treatment for this condition.
To take a closer look at this condition, we at Smile Dental Care prepared a list containing the harmful effects of obstructive sleep apnea:
- If left untreated, obstructive sleep apnea is associated with high blood pressure. Having this condition makes it more difficult to control your blood pressure with medication.
- Obstructive sleep apnea makes it difficult to concentrate. This condition reduces your ability to think clearly—leading to poor performance at work and reliance on stimulants like caffeine and sugary foods.
- Obstructive sleep apnea is associated with disturbances in emotions. This may increase the risk of mental health conditions, such as anxiety and depression.
- Untreated obstructive sleep apnea may cause complications during surgery. Since sleep apnea increases the risk of airway obstructions, this may cause abnormal heart rhythms and other surgical complications.
- The harmful effects of sleep apnea do not only decrease sleep quality. It is also a risk factor for stroke, heart attack, and blood clots in the legs. The risk becomes higher with moderate to severe obstructive sleep apnea.
- Obstructive sleep apnea makes you excessively sleepy the next day because of all the disruptions you went through while sleeping. Hence, it may cause you to fall asleep while driving to work or school; therefore, increasing the risk of fatal car accidents.
Improve the quality of your sleep by availing treatments for Sleep Apnea in Lombard, IL. Here at Smile Dental Care, we are ready to provide a custom-made oral device to prevent blockage in your airway. Call or Find us at 837 South Westmore-Meyers Road, Lombard, IL 60148 to start your sleep apnea treatment!