The color of the teeth can negatively impact a person’s life. Stained teeth can lower self-esteem, shrink confidence, and leave an undesirable impression to others. To help patients look and feel good with their teeth, we at Smile Dental Care provide in-office teeth whitening with Philips Zoom to enhance their smiles. Teeth whitening is a treatment that can lighten the teeth color without removing any surface.
Causes of Teeth Discoloration
Poor oral hygiene: Improper dental hygiene practices affect the health and color of the teeth. Discoloration occurs due to bacteria, plaque, and other stain-causing particles that are not removed during brushing or flossing.
Foods and Drinks: Excessive intake of coffee, tea, red wine, sodas, dark berries, and other intensely colored substances can stain the teeth.
Tobacco Use: Substances found in tobacco, namely nicotine and tar can cause stubborn stains on the teeth over time. Nicotine is colorless, but when exposed to oxygen, it becomes yellow. Tar, on the other hand, is a by-product of smoking tobacco which is a naturally dark-colored residue.
Certain Medications: Antibiotics such as tetracycline and doxycycline are known staining agents, especially for children whose teeth are still developing. Other medications that can stain the teeth include mouthwashes with chlorhexidine and cetylpyridinium chloride, antihistamines, and high blood pressure medicines.
Genes: Some people have naturally white teeth, while others are not. It is due to the thickness of the enamel they are born with.
Benefits of Teeth Whitening
- Better overall oral health
- Enhances the teeth’s appearance
- Improves confidence and self-esteem
- Makes a person look younger and attractive
- Gives the patient more reasons to smile
Aftercare Tips to Follow
- Avoid stain-causing foods and beverages. If it is inevitable, make sure to brush or rinse the mouth afterward.
- Stop smoking, not only is it good for the body but to oral health as well.
- White diet can help in keeping the teeth bright after a whitening procedure. Plain chicken, potatoes, plain pasta, and white sauces, milk, cereal, and dairy products are recommended.
- It is suggested to use a straw when drinking beverages to avoid direct contact of teeth-staining substances with the teeth.
- It is advised to have scheduled dental visits twice a year, with six months intervals.
Give your smile a boost! Book an appointment with Smile Dental Care and check out our services under Teeth Whitening in Lombard, IL. Let us help you achieve your dream smile in no time!